Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Assorted Stuff


Viral Crud, Roman Poets and Andy Williams

Lost Weekend 2008
The past six days have been a blur of sorts; hours of sleep punctuated by periods of coughing, sneezing, shivering, sweltering and just plain being miserable. Finally, under the combined weight of my wife and mother-in-law's nagging, I went to the ER where I was poked, prodded, swabbed and tested. All of the tests came back negative. The prognosis of the ER Doctor? I have some type of "viral crud". I can expect to be better in one to two weeks (talk about non-specific diagnoses). Well, I am finally feeling well enough to focus (at least temporarily). I did manage to go to work for a few hours today. The upside to all this is that I've had absolutely no appetite and have lost six pounds in a week. Mom was right - there is a sunny side to every situation.


December already.
Here is it is December 3. Can you believe it? I suppose it would be trite to remark about how time flies etc. Still, it does seem to move faster the older I get. By the way - did you know that the phrase "tempus fugit" is attributed to the Roman poet Vergil? Miss Higgins, my high school Latin teacher, would be proud of me.


Andy Williams
The laid back singer turned 81 today. Did anyone see him "perform" during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? I suppose lip synching to a 40 year old version of The Most Wonderful Time of the Year constitutes a performance. Hell, the man is in his ninth decade on Earth and still going strong. He deserves props just for that.




2 comments:

  1. Since he has been rather quiet as of, oh lets just say the last 50 years, i assumed Andy Williams was already dead. Of course this is my propensity - - I am always assuming pople are dead if thy fall off my radar. Glad to see he is still ( at least somewhat ) kicking.

    Sorry to hear that you are sick and that you went to the local veterinary center in the next town over. I had never heard of "viral crud" but then again Orthopaedics is my game so i am not up on all the exciting changes in the world of general medicine ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah - I guess you haven't spent much time in Branson, MO or you'd know that Andy (along with the Osmonds)keeps that town hopping. I think there might even be an Andy Williams Dinner Theatre (admit it, you're dying to go, aren't you?)

    ReplyDelete