Sunday, June 1, 2008

Greetings From Lake Taghkanic State Park!

Miscellaneous musings from a day at the lake

No matter how much sand you put around a lake, it's not a beach; it's just a lake with sand around it.

There are black snakes in the water; this is definitely not like the beaches on Long Island.

If AccuWeather says there's a chance of a thunderstorm, take them seriously.

There are probably safer places to be during a thunderstorm than in a metal row boat in the middle of a lake.

No matter how old I get, I never tire of the sight of two 20 year-old women putting suntan lotion on each other.

I realize that the above thought makes me sound like a dirty old man. What's your point?

Sadly, I'm invisible to 20 year-old women.

The only men who should be allowed to wear speedos are competitive swimmers (and then only those new body suit type speedos).

There were no competitive swimmers at the lake today. Unfortunately, there were men in speedos.

Yes (left), GOD NO! (right)

There must be an unalterable law of the universe which states that the people who play their radios the loudest sit next to me.

Fortunately, iPods can drown out the loudest outside music.

iPods need to be charged occasionally.

It's been a while since I charged my iPod.

Wearing a bikini is a privilege not a right.

No matter how old I get, I never tire of building sandcastles.

In my youth I worshiped the sun, baking unprotected for hours until my skin turned brown. Skin cancer? Who worried about skin cancer? When you're 18 you never think of your own mortality. When you're 46 it stares you in the face every time you look in the mirror (reason #1 why I wear a shirt most of the time on the beach).

The tankini, hailed as a clever combination of bikini and one-piece bathing suit, is not the best of both worlds; it's the worst. If your body is good enough for a bikini you should wear a bikini. If it's not, you won't look any better in a tankini.

It is one of life's cruel ironies that as the hair decreases on my head, it increases on my back and shoulders (reason #2 why I wear a shirt most of the time on the beach).


Ever since the original Friday the 13th movie, I'm never completely comfortable in a rowboat in the middle of a lake.

I'd forgotten Kevin Bacon was in the original Friday the 13th movie; is there anything that guy hasn't done?




1 comment:

  1. On behalf of the internet viewing public, we truly enjoy your blog. HOWEVER - - please refrain from posting anymore pictures of yourself in speedos ( nice bling though wheredya but the cross ?? )

    ReplyDelete