Thursday, August 14, 2008

"...and You're Mary Tyler Moore"


Yesterday's blog reminded me of Weezer's 1994 hit Buddy Holly. The video for the song, directed by Spike Jonze, features the band performing at Arnold's Drive-In, the popular hangout from Happy Days. It seamlessly incorporates clips of the Happy Days gang dancing and watching the band play. Everyone is there including the Fonz, Ralph, Potsie, Richie, Joanie, Howard, Marion and even Arnold. Al Molinaro who played Al (as well as Murray the Cop on the Odd Couple) actually makes a cameo appearance introducing the band before the start of the song.

Before we get to the video, some random facts shamelessly lifted from the Wikipedia entry:

The single was released on what would have been Buddy Holly's 58th birthday.

The song reached No. 2 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks Chart and No. 12 on the UK Singles Chart.

The original lyrics were Oo-wee-oo you look just like Ginger Rogers/Oh, oh, I move just like Fred Astaire,

In 1994, Rolling Stone ranked "Buddy Holly" #497 on its list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

The video won four awards at the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards, including Breakthrough Video and Best Alternative Video

The video was so popular that it was included on the Microsoft Windows 95 CD-ROM when the operating system was first released.

And now the video - unfortunately in this clip, Al Molinaro's cameo which surrounded the actual song is missing:




To further enhance your Weezer experience, I present the lyrics. Play the video again and sing along this time...

What's with these homies dissin' my girl?
Why do they gotta front?
What did we ever do to these guys
That made them so violent?

Woo-hoo, but you know I'm yours.
Woo-hoo, and I know you're mine.
Woo-hoo, and that's for all of time.

Oo-wee-oo, I look just like Buddy Holly.
Oh-Oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore.
I don't care what they say about us anyway.
I don't care 'bout that.

Don't you ever fear, I'm always near. I know that you need help.
Your tongue is twisted, your eyes are slit.
You need a guardian.

Woo-hoo, and you know I'm yours.
Woo-hoo, and I know you're mine.
Woo-hoo, and that's for all of time.

Oo-wee-oo, I look just like Buddy Holly.
Oh-Oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore.
I don't care what they say about us anyway.
I don't care 'bout that.I don't care 'bout that.

Bang! Bang! Knock on the door, another big bang, get down on the floor.
Oh No! What do we do?
Don't look now but I lost my shoe.
I can't run and I can't kick.
What's a matter babe, are you feelin' sick?
What's a matter, what's a matter, what's a matter you?
What's a matter babe, are you feelin' blue?
Oh-oh-oh!

And that's for all of time
And that's for all of time

Oo-wee-oo, I look just like Buddy Holly.
Oh-Oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore.
I don't care what they say about us anyway.
I don't care 'bout that.I don't care 'bout that.
I don't care 'bout that.I don't care 'bout that.

No comments:

Post a Comment