Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Infinite Monkeys



There is a famous mathematical concept known as the Infinite Monkey Theorem which states that an infinite number of monkeys sitting in front of an infinite number of typewriters and hitting keys at random for an infinite number of years will almost surely type a given text (the one most often cited is the Complete Works of Shakespeare). This blog has nothing to do with that per se, but I will come back to it (trust me). Being the Political Junkie that I am, and since the Presidential Campaign Season is in full swing, I thought I'd write some politically oriented entries. I always try to insert a dollop of Pop Cultury Goodness into every blog, and these will be no different.


I am an independent by disposition and have voted for the Republican candidate for president as often as I have the Democrat (3 each). This might be because I'm a pragmatist by nature and lack the ability to see things in black and white. It irks me when someone blames "conservatives" or "liberals" for things they don't like; I'm not a fan of labels. I honestly believe we are (or should be) Americans first. I cast my very first ballot for Ronnie Reagan (those of us who were around back then referred to him as Ronnie) and was in fact a card carrying member of the Republican Party in the 80's (literally - I recently came across my old RNC Membership Card). I currently hold no political party affiliation but have leaned towards the Democrats in recent elections (which doesn't make me left-leaning).


Let's talk about George W. Bush (aka "Bush 43" aka "W" aka "George II" aka "Dubbaya"). I voted for his Dad in 1988 (but not in 1992). I did not vote for Jr. in either 2000 or 2004. My feelings for W can be summed up thusly: if an infinite number of monkeys sat in an infinite number of Oval Offices and flung an infinite amount of monkey poo at the Constitution of the United States, they could not desecrate that noble document as much as one George W. Bush has done in the mere seven and one half years he has been in office through the metaphysical ass-wiping he has given it (see, I told you I'd get back to the Monkeys). In other words (for those of you who couldn't follow the byzantine structure of the previous sentence), the Bush Administration has used the Constitution of the United States, the foundation of our democracy and system of laws and government, as toilet paper.

I could go on for days about how much I dislike what George W. Bush and friends have done to this country, but I won't waste the key strokes. This doesn't mean I hate all Republicans - it means I dislike those associated with the Bush Administration's policies. I don't fully believe the Democrats who say John McCain will be an extension of Bush. For one thing, McCain is a much better man than W will ever be (better = honest and honorable among other things). He was in fact, a victim of Karl Rove's smear campaign during the 2000 Primaries when he ran against Bush for the Republican nomination for President. This doesn't mean I'm going to vote for McCain; I disagree with his position on a number of issues (but if he does get elected at least he'll bring back a sense of integrity that has been lacking in the White House since the Supreme Court anointed W president back in 2000). I also don't believe the Republicans who say Barack Obama is an elitist who hates America and spends his days hanging out with terrorists. It's all just the usual campaign rhetoric and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Now on to a lighter note - here's a cheery little campaign ad for JFK from 1960. Do you think anyone actually voted for him based on this commercial? Maybe not, but it sure is catchy.



No comments:

Post a Comment